“Flee and Follow”
I Timothy 6:11 – “But Thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, Godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.”
In (Verses 3-10) Paul condemns the greedy motivation of the false teachers. Paul claims that these people have erred in their understanding of doctrine as well as in their conduct. Paul points out that the false teachers have financial gain as their motivation for living according to God’s standards and that such desires only bring ruin. Let’s see what Apostle Paul is instructing young Timothy to flee from and follow after.
I. FLEE FROM THESE THINGS
In this text, notice that Paul is speaking to the man of God – his mentee, his apprentice, his son in the ministry — which means this advice given was for Timothy and all those who were a part of the first church as well as for us today who are in the household of faith! We, the believers, are not to live by the standards of this world, but by the commandments of God our father. The bible warns us to be in the world, but not of the world! Let’s take a look at some of the things Apostle Paul warns Timothy to watch for: pride, envy and strife, evil surmising, perverse disputing, supposition that gain is Godliness, and the addictive love of money.
II. FOLLOW AFTER RIGHTEOUSNESS
Now that you know what to flee from, it’s time to follow after righteousness. Righteousness is simply what God wants for your life! The text says to follow after:
– Godliness with contentment is great gain
– Contentment – we came into the world with nothing, when we leave, we will have nothing!
– Faith – the substance of things hoped for; the evidence of things not seen.
– Love – the one thing that the world will be able to identify us as disciples.
– Patience – knowing that all things work together for good to them who love God and are the
called according to his purpose (his time and his way).
– Meekness – extend grace to those we come in contact with. If it wasn’t for the grace of God
where would we be!
– Eternal life – the reward we will receive at the end of the race!
You must not live in fear because of what you cannot see (what you do not have); but walk in faith believing God for the impossible! FLEE from FEAR; FOLLOW in FAITH!